Monday, January 31, 2011

5th Century Enviornmentalism

I found this piece from a sermon by Leo the Great who was Bishop of Rome in the 450ish time frame when I was looking for some food for thought for our parish Facebook group.

Who knew that there were enviormentalists in the 5th century?

"Use creatures as they should be used: the earth, the sea, the sky, the air, the springs and the rivers. Give praise and glory to their Creator for all that you find beautiful and wonderful in them. See with your bodily eyes the light that shines on earht, but embrae with your whole soul and all your affections 'the true light which enlightens everyone who comes into this world.' Speaking of this light the prophet said: "Draw close to him and let his light shine upon you and your face will not blush with shame.' If indeed the temple of God and if the Spirit of God lives in us, then what every believer has within is greater than what the believer admires in the skies."

I just think that's so cool - I love looking at the stars and I'm inspiried by the thought that because the Spirit of God lives in me then what I have within is greater than Orion.

No comments:

Post a Comment