Sunday, August 16, 2009

The internal cycle

We talk about the church year as a cycle that moves within the calendar year - beginning at Advent and moving through Christmas and then to Lent and Easter and in some way that cycle becomes a part of our lives and we conciously and sub-conciously respond to it.

There are other cycles like that and when they are disrupted it is very unsettling. I'm discovering that it actually doesn't take much.

Where I was raised and lived most of my life school started the third or fourth week of August, so by now the back to school shopping had been done, the class lists posted and the first day of school outfit at least thought about, if not actually picked out. So the fact that school here doesn't start for another three weeks is unsettling my internal "start of the program year" calendar. I have to admit that I'm surprised at how hard it is to adapt (at least right now)

I suspect that we all have several of these internal calendars and that part of building a family or a community is trying to get everyone's internal calendars in sync with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment